Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Songs of David Bowie

I have been a David Bowie fan since I was twelve years of age. His songs have always meant a lot to me, even when I didn't really understand them. From the first time I heard "The Jean Genie", "Changes" or listened to "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars", I have been hooked.

Since then, both David Bowie and I have gone through "ch-ch-ch-ch-changes" (Mr Bowie apparently hates when journalists describe his career in the that way) but I remain absolutely fascinated by him. I still listen more to his songs than to any other artist, but I also am fascinated by the man. He has done so much, experimented in so many different areas, both within and outside of music, and has never seemed afraid to fall on his face, or suffer the ridicule of critics or the ignomy of dissappointing record sales. Most of his fans remain loyal to him, and he has picked up many more over the years and his back catalogue remains one of the most sought after in the music world. (He showed his innovation in that regard too, by leveraging future sales of his CDs to raise money, before anyone else has thought to do something similar.

David Bowie has written and recorded hundreds of songs. Over the next year (or so), I intend to post my thoughts on most (if not all) of the Songs of David Bowie. Some of my comments will be on what those songs mean personally to me, some will analyse the (possible) meaning of his songs and some will draw on trivia and facts that I have collected over the years.

Hopefully, for anyone who is interested in David Bowie, these musings will prove interesting and hopefully thought provoking. I also intent to set up an associated website which will have both the lyrics and guitar chords for all the songs of David Bowie and which will include some further reflections, thoughts and trivia.

I welcome comments, from David Bowie fans or others and look forward to sharing the experience and possibly making new friends along the way.

May the adventure begin ....

No comments: